PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Halton
Thread: RAF Halton
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2018, 05:21
chevvron

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
RAF Halton

Saw a film called 'Allied' on telly the other night (yes my own fault I know); rubbish plot with Brad Pitt as a secret agent during WW2 who was also a RCAF Wg Cdr.
Apart from the usual bloomers like showing him using a 1950s phone box, he seemingly was able to just 'borrow' Lysanders at will.
One scene showed him driving onto an airfield along a narrowish road with a fence on the airfield side and as the camera panned round, some hangars came into view which I immediately recognised as those at Halton with Pitt entering not by the 'normal' gate but via the car park where the old control tower once stood. Course the CGI crew had been hard at work, adding extra hangars along the western airfield boundary as well as literally dozens of Lysanders and some Lancasters (were they ever used for SOE drops? I think not) but it was definitely Halton with 'F' type hangars and another hangar with a lowish lintel built in about 1970 to replace a Bellman which I remember well 'cos we kept our microlights in it in the early '90s before we were moved to one of the 'F' types to allow RAFP training in 'our' hangar.