PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 11th Dec 2018, 22:38
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
Jimjim, ... if the higher than expected torque on the starboard nut wasn't caused by the bearing failure, where did it come from?
I don't know and AAIB is not commenting at present either.

I too assumed your (and others) proposed mechanism of tightening as I read the report. I then noticed that the mechanism was wrong and re-read the report carefully. The AAIB do not make any statement as to the mechanism of excessive tightening. Perhaps it would have been better if they had stated that explicitly as quite a few people here (and presumably other readers too) have made that incorrect (I believe) connection in the context presented.

Maybe it was tightened too much last time it was assembled? How about some fretting during the failure process creating rough surfaces or loose material within the joints? I just made the last one up, I have no idea if such a thing might actually occur.

I can't see that it is important since I doubt very, very much that the tight nut had anything to do with the crash. Well unless the bearing was designed to have it's preload set by the nut torque. Excessive preload would certainly explain the failure of the bearing. My experience of such bearing configurations (not aviation) is that they are always done up hard and the dual race bearing has a small clearance within it.

We'll likely find our next year.