PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night visual black Hole approaches. Skybrary article.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 04:53
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A black-hole approach illusion can happen during a final approach at night (with no stars or moonlight) over water or unlit terrain to a lighted runway, in which the horizon is not visible.
Hang on, Centy. Isn't this illusion named after the "black hole" appearance of a runway that has ground lighting (sometimes extensive) around the outside of the airport, but the interior region is devoid of lighting - thus making the runway appear to be sited in the middle of a "black hole"? Those words must mean something related to a "black hole".

I've had a bee in my bonnet about the use of this expression for a while now. I believe that, nowadays, out of ignorance, everybody uses it for exactly the opposite situation that it was originally coined for. Everybody seems to be using it for runways where the entire region is devoid of ground lighting (e.g. small towns where the runway is a great distance from the town).

I started this thread in 2012 in complaint of this misuse:

"Black hole" approach - a misnomer