PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night visual black Hole approaches. Skybrary article.
Old 10th Dec 2018, 22:38
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Even though I have all the gear at my disposal I still use the old 320ft per NM & 5x GS for my ROD,
Very true. It was called good airmanship. Now an obsolete term replaced by NTS's. More's the pity. One also becomes wary when flying into some of the Pacific islands especially at night. Nauru was a classic in the 1980's where it was important to keep a close eye on IRS ground speeds on final approach for unwanted tailwinds.
Local vandals were known to occasionally smash the lights over the windsocks so you couldn't overfly to have a look. Pilots relied on the flight service officer to give you the wind. Except his anemometer was long since u/s so the FSO would give you the forecast wind but wouldn't say it was a forecast wind as he was doing his best to keep you happy with whatever Met info he had on his desk. Which was often out of date.

In those days the T-VASIS was unreliable either due power outages, long grass covering the boxes or worse still several u/s light bulbs that could give you erroneous visual information. Sometimes large kids sitting on a T-VASIS box could unknowingly tilt the box slightly and change its angle from the pilots viewpoint on final.