PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you land?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2003, 01:53
GearDoor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you land?

Just had a discussion with a colleague at work yesterday about landing with two hands vs. one hand on the control column. It's a habit for me to close the power levers during the flare, land with two hands, land the nosewheel, then go back to the power levers for beta/reverse.

My reasoning is that once you go to idle thrust/power, and are less than 10 ft from the runway, you are commited to landing and a go around should only be attempted in the most dire of consequences.

His reasoning is that you should have a hand on the power levers in case of a go around and to control the power for a smooth landing. However, I've seen people burn up 1/2 of a 5000 ft runway trying to make a smooth landing (in a 28,000 lb aircraft). My thinking is unless you doing a soft-field landing or landing a floatplane, there is no need to have a hand on the power lever, unless it is personal preference.

Any comments from anyone whether you fly large, small, jet, turboprop, or piston? Do the airlines teach any specific method in training, excluding Airbus operators? (Because it would be awkward to have both hands on a sidestick)

CM

Last edited by GearDoor; 19th Oct 2003 at 03:23.