PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharing an emergency
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2018, 10:53
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Good briefing BPF, I may well steal that.

DD: 3 totals in the normal flying environment (blocked fuel filter, failed cylinder head bolt retaining tab, rich cut due to mis-set engine / no cockpit mixture control), 6ish totals in flight testing - all just carb settings or too long at negative g and were restarted, 1 partial in flight test: a fuel pump failure, 2 partials in the normal flying environment: a rubber component loose in the oil sump, and a failed plug (plus one PANed and diverted rough running that in retrospect I think was just carb icing, one alternator failure). Or thereabouts: I don't have a column in the logbook for them, and thinking too hard about it isn't brilliant for my sanity. Ignoring the flight test failures, each one in a different aeroplane (okay two pairs - the rough running and this weekend's partial, and the alternator failure and other partial were each the same aeroplane - albeit several years apart in each case), with the engine maintained by a different person or organisation as well. Only one damaged aircraft on the list. Oh and one incipient - oil pressure dropped to near-zero, just after an engine rebuild, but that the engine behaved fine during the diversion and landing - until it stopped halfway between the runway and parking: that was another aeroplane and maintainer again.

Not quite sure if this all makes me lucky or unlucky, but I sort of get why people sometimes get sent to me for specific refresher training in handling emergencies.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 11th Dec 2018 at 16:31.