PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 8th Dec 2018, 21:53
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
When I’m exercising the privileges of my USA CPL I do what the enlightened FAA says on the subject per their updated Airplane Flying Handbook https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...06_afh_ch4.pdf “Maintaining Aircraft Control: Upset Prevention and Recovery Training”

Their stall recovery template is quite straightforward. If progressing to a spin then use the spin recovery template.

It seems that they have realised that for FAR 23 airplanes, when tested for stall behaviour, the power is not changed until after recovery from the stall.

I was at a flying school recently when CASA asked about this subject and my answer was that we do it per their Flight Instructor Manual – why would I do it any differently. In Chapter 13, for recovery from an incipient spin:

· “recovering by ensuring the throttle is closed and the controls are centralised followed by recovery from the ensuing unusual attitude” but on the following page

· “As soon as the aeroplane has stalled and commenced to yaw take the appropriate recovery action. Increase power, apply sufficient rudder to prevent further yaw and ease the control column forward sufficiently to un-stall the aeroplane.”

CASA does not define an incipient spin however it is required per the Part 61 MOS “execute an incipient spin manoeuvre from the following flight conditions and, using correct recovery technique, regain straight and level flight”.

This correct recovery method must be per the CASA Flight Instructor Manual – "increase power" …… “sufficient rudder” becomes full rudder …. easing the control column forward …… but which of the two CASA techniques?