PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAS Acceptance (or otherwise!)
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2003, 23:24
Angels 99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy UAS Acceptance (or otherwise!)

Hi,
I've lurked this forum for a few years now, but as a mere civi student have never felt qualified to post anything - it's been fantastic reading though!

I'm coming begging for help now though. I applied to join my 'local' UAS this yr as a ground branch member (all I have ever wanted to do was RAF pilot - sadly my eyesight's terrible so I'm settled on a career in one of the ground branches) and received a letter this morning turning me down as I don't meet the 'strict medical criteria for selection for the RAF(VR)'. I'm a bit confused by this as afaik eyesight standard is only a prob for aircrew and I have NO other medical problems. I'm pretty gutted by this as I'm very committed to an air force career and have (I thought) a fair CV for UAS entry (Extremely keen on all things flying and RAF and know a fair amount about both, CCF Flt Sgt, Gliding + Flying Scholarships, D of E Gold + Silver, School Prefect + House Captain, doing an aviation based degree etc etc).

Am I wrong re medical requirements for ground branch or is there more to this? I intend to get on the phone Monday morning and speak to the people concerned - any other ideas please?

Thanks for your time!