PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PLAAF J-20 in USA - fake mock up or defection ?
Old 8th Dec 2018, 09:03
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,597 Likes on 733 Posts
From the website above’s own article:

”Rupprecht has authored some of the most authoritative books on Chinese military aircraft (including “Flahpoint China” and “modern Chinese Warplanes” and written articles for many media outlets. This is how Andreas Rupprecht responded to our questions about what appears in the photo:

“In my honest opinion at second glance, at least in my opinion, it quickly becomes clear that this is just a model: the whole proportions do not fit, the surface looks wavy, just as if some thin material was stretched on or over a frame or at least mated in parts that do not fit correctly – especially since the J-20 has an impressive manufacturing and surface quality. Also, the engines – and the AL-31FN are very characteristic – are completely wrong: they sit too deep and do not have the typical shape of the afterburner nozzles, even more the main landing gear is not right.”

Rupprecht went on to write, “The clearest indication in my opinion however in addition to the wobbly surface is that always on the J-20 on the ground as soon as the hydraulic pressure is gone, the rudders on the tail “fall” to the inside in that most characteristic angle. And since the cockpit canopy is covered, which would be the case, this simply does not fit.

So, in essence it would be most interesting to know the true background of this “thing“, who made it for what purpose and why does it stand at this location, but it’s surely not a real J-20.”