PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Author would like some advice on aircraft related matters
Old 8th Dec 2018, 00:27
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by phil170258
Thanks so much for all your brilliant replies but I love love love the Beech 18 - what a beautiful looking plane, and absolutely, the sort of thing you would stick on the cover!

I have another question, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate, given that it involves border protection. So Moderator feel free to delete if it breeches any guidelines.

But here's what I want to achieve plotwise - I want my plane to attempt to land in Australia, but for the authorities to not allow this. And, of course, because it's a novel, I'd like this to happen in an exciting and dramatic way!

My aim then is for the plane to be forced to land in Timor Leste, in one of the smaller regional airstrips.

Once again, thanks so much for your help!

Phil
FWIW - maybe your character might not have bothered checking the notams or gets themselves a bit lost and blunders into a military air defense identification zone or similar doing exercises around the top end (eg operation "pitch black" that gets conducted across northern australia every year or so) and finds themselves intercepted by military aircraft (if F18s they would have a hard struggle trying to slow down to keep with the D18 - you might also have some fun with that...)

The D18 would certainly be made to feel unwelcome, particularly if it failed to comply with the directions of the intercepting aircraft.

Procedures for what they would say and do to an aircraft they didn't want around can be found in several places on line but a quick summary is at General Civil Aviation Safety Authority