PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 7th Dec 2018, 20:28
Emma Royds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FalseGS
You can say that about any airline anywhere in the world in today’s current aviation scenario.

Everybody can’t join the legacy/major carriers where they do offer a sustainable lifestyle. Everybody can’t join carriers where you have such progressive HR policies.

Missing holidays, weekends and other important events are a fact of life for most airline pilots. EKs lifestyle does not have exclusive domain over that aspect of our life.

But you are absolutely correct about the fact that Dubai will try its hardest to ensure you leave with nothing. So all those hours logged and sleepless nights will most likely lead you to leaving with barely enough considering how EK or any other airline in the ME will abuse you.
You don't have to join a top-notch operator to see such progressive HR policies. When you have a legal base which protects an employee's rights to flexible working, then that alone can help to enhance how level the playing field will be. If you add a union to the mix, then the opportunity to avail a better work vs lifestyle balance is only strengthened further.

I have many friends in different companies both large and small who are for all intents and purposes, are part-time and have a significant degree of leverage with planning their time off each month. Yes, I will agree that we will miss some important events due to the nature of the job. However, we are grossly selling ourselves short if we hold the view that we ourselves have not been sold short and that there are no significant differences between our working conditions and what you will witness at many other widebody operators, with regards to flexible working practices.