PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THY roadshow in Abu Dhabi
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2018, 14:21
GF4RCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toga-Lock

Im an expat thats been in the company since 2011.. before your hear the doom and gloom from a "Professional Rumour" forum let me say Yes absolutely there been and still present really frustrating challenging moments working within the environmental dynamics of THY but to give them credit there are more moments when you feel relaxed and at eased just enjoying what life has to offer you as you see improvements occur.. ... its totally dependent on your mind set...
without getting in to a philosophical essay and conflict of views with other members here about the dynamics of THY .. ill give you my experience and view of THY from my eyes.

firstly the PAY
few months ago the TRY was on a free fall base jump and as a result lost nearly half its value which effected us expats as our salaries are paid in the local currency with not set exchange rate safety net.. this prompted THY management of increase pay of flight crew in order to keep the them from going else where .. did it work ?? may be maybe not.. i haven't got any management responsibilities so really dont look at that aspect..... hence i look at it from perspective and yes it help somewhat hence i am still here.

last few months we have seen 30% followed by a 20% increase respectively so at the moment the flight pay without the 70hrs overtime benefit flight, duties on a Sunday, public holidays, per-diems (qrtly bonus of one base salary is factored in)

Wide Body Captains: Approx. 70,000 TL
Narrow Body Captains: Approx. 59,000 TL
First Officers: Approx. 33,000 TL
taxes to be paid are at a rate of approx 4% and the company deducts this from your paycheck..
another salary rise is to be given at the end of year due to the inflation differences ( as per the collective bargaining agreement) not sure what this value is ..

as per ROSTER ..
Interesting things started to happen a few months ago when THY did a clean sweep of Flight ops Management and replaced all from vice president of flight OPs down to the all the fleet managers.. and more importantly crew planning was once again moved under the control of flight operations!!! which was insanity in the first place putting under another department. anyway there are improvements slow trickling down ... slowly .... but at least its a improving trend!!!!

now for the Wide body... definitely you can commute, especially if your on the B777.. man these guys have probably the best roster and conditions out there if you dont consider pay as the number 1 priority ... but then again for the condition they have .. i would certainty have a smile from ear to ear.. (mostly long haul avg. 3-4 flights per month excluding any domestic sector if any)

Airbus captain have more euro flights when compared to the B777 fleet are a bit more busy and as i said all wide body captain get the 3week on 1week off so commuting is definitely possible.

what HR would tell you is its a commuting contract, which means 3 weeks on 1 week off excluding travel time. In addition, all wide body Captains receive one ID100 confirmed ticket per month to use at the start and end of the block off days and All expat captains get 2 ID90 tickets per month ( Wife and children up to 25yo also get 2 ID90 ticketds per month each).

Narrow body (B737 and A320) .... Expat captains get only the ID90 benefits stated above ... commuting can be challenging but not an impossibility.. you get 6 block days off per month.. but there are some funky things happening in Crew Planing .. the director of crew planning is also a B737 Captain and improvements are in the pipeline especially for the narrow body ( in particular the B737) (I.e some rumors that annual leave might be garnished and added to block days per month .. rumor only no
official notice or info as yet.)

Abu Dhabi event
the latest i been told is that it will only be a roadshow with no interviews or assessments..

hope this helps...

Last edited by GF4RCE; 9th Dec 2018 at 08:39.