PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lynx put forward for USN LAMPS competition
Old 7th Dec 2018, 11:52
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Hah! Do I know that IBM was the SH-60B Prime Contractor! We constructed a “ green “ SH-60 in Connecticut, then flew it to Oswego for IBM to install their systems. First time we went up to IBM to ground run the first machine with systems , IBM scheduled a briefing per procedure. Went into their briefing room and there were 60 people in there. Uh-oh. 60 folks for a ground run on an aircraft which we had flown up there carried very bad connotations. IBM never thought to provide any sort of school or operators manual at the time as to how to operate all the bells, whistles etc and I recall taking a look and I couldn’t figure out how to get a comm radio on, much less get any nav equipment functional. It was remindful of the Ben Rich biography of Kelly Johnson and his warnings about NAVAIR.

IBM later did the systems for the MH-60K and MH-47E. That was similarly painful. At one point, IBM called a meeting to be held at Sikorsky, with the Boeing Project Test Pilot Ron Mecklin, Boeing PM, and flight test engineers, as things were not going well. The meeting had just started when the Sr IBM exec got up and accused the Boeing and Sikorsky of “ being in cahoots “ which was amusing as we in fact had not up to then had one conversation.

Last edited by JohnDixson; 7th Dec 2018 at 12:02. Reason: Added thought