PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No-frills kangaroo ready to hop
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2003, 20:14
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEOs

Flying Tiger
You might get more sympathy about the 'worth' argument if it was a 2-way street. What upsets me most about executive remuneration is the lack of downside. How do I get a gig where when things are going well (and by going well, I mean you could just be lucky- like have your biggest competitor fall over- or you just go on the cost-cutting merry go 'round, not actually adding value or making decisions that grow the business, just pulling down others pay and conditions) I get people lining up to tell me how good I am and how I should get double the money? Then if I stuff it up, destroying not only shareholder value but the lives and livelyhoods of countless others, I get a great, big, fat cheque to pay out my contract and see me on my way (to the next company ripe for the pillaging)?

Australia used to walk in the middle ground between, say, the US and the UK (in IR terms). We lean ever closer to the US these days. Read a Michael Moore book and see if that's what you want.

Call me cynical, but isn't starting an "all new, low-cost, totally seperate company" just a lot of smoke and mirrors for re-writing (downwards) your EBAs, corporate culture, etc, in one foul swoop? The funny part is some people actually seem glad for these 'opportunities'. If they called a spade a spade and said; "we are going to sack a lot of the staff at short haul, and hire some new faces at half the pay and doing twice the jobs" would people still be so glad?
It seems so.

Last edited by ferris; 18th Oct 2003 at 20:54.