PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No-frills kangaroo ready to hop
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2003, 20:11
PAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Just a few thoughts, mostly along the lines of what is a LCC and where can the savings be made:

- management salaries (yep I agree here)
- tech crew salaries (also here)
- cabin crew salaries (more later on this one)
- efficient aircraft fleet
- not many other places (as fuel, leases, fees, etc are not neg)

Pigs Arse talked about multiple types. As far as I can see the big Q is currently heading down the AN path from Sir Peter days...almost one of everything!! This is just not efficient due:
- type ratings (tech, and engineering)
- crewing (due type rating problems/ costs)
- and as Pimp Daddy suggested spares, etc, etc

Tech crew. The tech crew will be either "new" LCC employees if the management team can dream up a way to keep mainline crew from having a heart attack, otherwise I find it difficult to believe that QF mainline tech crew will be operating.

Cabin Crew. TAY 611, you have hit the nail on the head with this one. Incorporate the LCC in NZ (even as JetConnect) and you can have one less cabin crew per aircraft!! Now we are starting to talk savings; salary, super, annual leave, sickleave, overnights, overnight allowances, roster costs, etc, etc

To get it right QF has to use the existing management (and all other infrastructure) for the LCC, not duplicate.

Interesting: Alan Joyce at 37 is about the same age as Brett Godfrey when DJ started.

Also, Douglas Mcdonnell, what exactly is a "high capacity OAC". As far as I know there is only an AOC, they just happen to have high capacity aircraft on the register.

Last edited by PAX; 18th Oct 2003 at 20:35.