PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Safety Video on CFIT and Distraction
Old 7th Dec 2018, 07:16
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
One thing that strikes me is the lack of a co-ordinated approach to the use of technology. Initial pilot training has no standardised approach to the use and guidance of how/ when and which technology be that avionic fit in any individual aircraft or aviation GPS applications.

Indeed just this week I had an email from Skydemon and they recognise in their latest newsletter that some features are not obvious to even access, nevermind use. Of course feature rich applications can be very useful but only to those who take the time and effort to learn how to use and apply their use appropriately.

We only have to go back as far as the December AAIB report to read about how a highly experienced fixed wing instructor flew into the side of a hill grubbing around in obviously poor weather. You can see how the AAIB suggest how the use of GPS navigation can improve SA, indeed this video might slightly skew that view. Of course the two views are aligned but the message/appropriate interaction requires effort to train, refresh and educate - which is useful if the approach is standardised and introduced as soon as possible in the training.

That PPL navigation continues with a paper chart, a line and a stopwatch just ignores the reality of what is happening in the real world. I am unaware of a single authority offering clear and comprehensive guidance around the use of GPS applications.