PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook-2
Thread: Thomas Cook-2
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2018, 08:47
daz211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toledoashley
Obviously, there are preconceptions here as to what a travel agent is - and there is now clearly a difference in what that role entails. Traditionally it was an outlet to sell prepackaged holidays, or what you would describe as a traditional ‘package holiday’. Its fair to say that a lot of that market has moved online - but there are areas where travel agents add value.

There is also a difference between a retail shop owned by a multiple such as TUI or Thomas Cook (or Kuoni or Virgin), where there is a desire to sell their own product. However, until only recently Thomas Cook has sold other tour operators as well. Neither are really travel agents any more, but representatives to booking their own packages.

The real travel agents are the independents - either with a high street presence, or homeworkers. Its fair to say that the market for them is heading towards higher end, more complex travel arrangements which can be difficult for ‘normal’ people to book, or value the advise of a travel professional. Jet2 have been very supportive of Indy agents, and have already committed even further resources to growing that market - something Thomas Cook has started moving away from.

Regarding the two shops - yes, I think Thomas Cook and TUI have said where there is a duplication they wouldn’t be renewing leases - but this is a hangover from the First Choice/Thomson and Thomas Cook/Airtours mergers which duplicated shores in towns.
I fully understand what a travel agent is and how it can provide a better experience to more complex travelers however if you look at what works you will see Jet2, Ryanair and EasyJet, what I would call the most successful out there don’t have shops and are online platforms only. Regarding the double shops which was left over from First choice,Thomson and Airtours, this just provides how slow Thomas Cook are at putting plans into action, closing one of the double shops should have been a priority and been dealt with immediately not a few years down the line.

Lets leave the shops aside for a minute, another major problem is the website it’s a poor experience compared to the likes of Jet2 Easyjet and Ryanair, it slow and not as easy to navigate as others also it looks very old fashioned and needs livened up.

Thomas Cook need to work fast and hard on lively, exiting and interactive social media and have a modern bright fun TV campaign but even with all this, it’s Thomas Cooks model that probably has to change to concentrate on seat only sales alongside a secondary package holiday part of the company, it’s not like they have to invent a bran new concept, all they have to do is follow the models of others out there.

Still I don’t here from anyone, on how things could be made better.

Last edited by daz211; 6th Dec 2018 at 09:15.