PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook-2
Thread: Thomas Cook-2
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2018, 14:58
daz211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flightrider
I go back to my central point. Airlines are not in the habit of ditching routes/activity that is profitable. If TC have ditched STN then it almost certainly tells you something (and they still fly long-haul from LGW inc Cape Town in winters, so it can't be all about consolidating at MAN). The rush to paint long-haul ops at STN as the saviour of TC is just crazy. They have pulled out - gone - retrenched - whatever you want to call it. They have clearly made a business decision to do so despite whatever wonderful offers were on the table from MAG at Stansted. They had the best slots and have given them back. They - like any other airline - wouldn't have done that if those operations were profitable. And just because loads were good does not automatically mean that the routes were profitable.
Please don’t talk to me about Business decisions made by Thomas Cook. It is clear that they have not made good ones in the last few years or we would not be having this discussion.
As far as Thomas Cook longhaul at Stansted is concerned the loads were very healthy a operational decision was made to concentrate on expanding longhaul at Manchester not to the likes of MCO and LAS but to main cities in the USA.

What I am suggesting is a move from Gatwick to Stansted with a mirrored image of Manchester operations. Doing this would save a lot of money on slots and a lot of money in a joint deal with both MAG owned airports, it’s not rocket science or brain surgery it’s simple economics for an airline that is stuck in the past and need a strong plan of action and soon.

And for the record I’m no spotter, I have worked in this industry for 25yrs and I have had key says in major operational decisions. it’s not about wishing and hoping my Airport wins over your Airport or my Airline is the best.
this is about saving an airline In troubled times.