PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2018, 23:57
zzuf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mad (Flt) Scientist
Must be able to do so, otherwise the whole basis of the stall certification would have changed, as it would make the aircraft "envelope protected" if MCAS were able to prevent a stall. AFAIK 737MAX has no such radical change in the certification approach. It seems to be intended to enhance/amend/adjust stall characteristics, not to make a more fundamental design change.
That is actually what I was thinking. Had a series of questions planned to eventually get to what you have written.
From day one I concluded the MCAS was a response to a longitudinal static stability deficiency approaching the stall.
I have difficulty with the proposal that it does other than that concerning stall handling characteristics.
Also I am now thinking that the stabilising force applied by the elevator feel unit approaching the stall is just another longitudinal stability fix, given some smart Boeing name.
Could be that all the 737 series had low stability in this area and it was addressed by the elevator feel unit. Unfortunately I have no access to EFU tech description. Perhaps the EFU authority was insufficient for this one configuration on the MAX.

Last edited by zzuf; 5th Dec 2018 at 05:15.