PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 4th Dec 2018, 22:28
josephfeatherweight

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts
Standard gliding full spin recovery technique is exactly this "BS" theory as you describe it - FULL opposite rudder, centralise ailerons, forward stick until the autorotation stops, centralise the rudder & then recover. With incipient spin recoveries we teach to relax the back pressure (effectively, forward stick again) and if there is a wing drop to correct it with opposite rudder as required. Even with full opposite rudder in a full spin recovery there is a significant delay before the autorotation stops, so using anything less than full rudder is just delaying the recovery and wasting altitude. There's no prop slipstream to help I know (even in idle) but why would any GA single be so different? I know the CT-4 used exactly the same recovery technique as I described with no issues ... it certainly never even came close to flicking into an opposite spin. I suppose if you just never centralised upon recovery it might.
Yeah, but the discussion isn't about spin recovery - it's about stalling.