PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ownership of risk
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2018, 22:14
Aurora Australis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airfield operator doesn't own any risk, see RA1020, they are responsible for providing a safe operating environment and that should include informing users of any potential adverse weather. The risk owners are the DDHs for the military platforms that operate there and the accountable managers for the civilians who, having been made aware of the rotors issue in the airfield hazard log, then make their own assessment on the risk reduction activities.
Bing - thanks for that. That is how I would have thought it should work. So maybe I am using the wrong terminology when I titled this thread "Ownership of risk". I thought that was what had changed, to make the Airfield Operator so risk averse.
So if as you say above, the accountable manager for the civilian operators should make their own assessment of the risk reduction activities, why is it that when LATAM (LanChile), FIGAS (Falkland islands Government Air Service), HiFly (the oil charter flights back in 2015/16), the Air ambulance flights from Chile, are all willing to make their own decisions on whether the conditions are acceptable, they are still over-ruled by the Airfield Operator?