PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recording Aircraft Intercom
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2018, 22:05
matthewbrooks21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, some very interesting ideas! I tested the recorder on another aircraft that my flying school uses and there was no whine whatsoever! I also took my gf up for a flight in the aircraft i was experiencing issues with and she plugged her headset into the same output(rear pax seat) and we could all hear the alternator whine through the headset (this is was with no recording gear), so it must be an issue with the intercom in the back!

Originally Posted by TheOddOne
I made up a splitter lead and put a 10k and a 1k resistors as a 'Tee', then a 3.5mm plug. This reduces the audio down nicely for a 'mic' in. Cost was less than a fiver. I use a £17 action camera from a well-known auction web site. I removed the built-in mic from the PCB and put a 3.5mm socket in the case with leads to the PCB mic input. Again, less than a fiver. The video quality is pretty poor but I use this soundtrack in conjunction with higher quality video from a GoPro when editing. The whole cost of the audio setup including the camera was less than the GoPro lead.

TOO
sounds nice and cheap, i like cheap! thanks!

Originally Posted by pilotmike
Was your wife on board?
She was on the second flight, it was more noticeable !

Originally Posted by John R81
I use a lapel mic (minus clip) inserted under my right ear cup. I have ANR headset, and the audio is fantastic quality without any fancy wiring.
Do you get any issues with the rustling of the cable moving about though or you touching your headset?

Originally Posted by Sam Rutherford
Or simply buy one of these
Definitely something i would like to invest in the future when im more serious about filming, thanks!