PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coming to fly in Oz as an American
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2018, 04:13
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Seagull201
Quote: Fact - you do not need permanent residency to access Medicare.

I know a person that had Australian citizenship and passport ( due inheritance from their parents), the person visited OZ for the first time in their life.

Medicare told the person, they cannot be covered by Medicare, until, they have been in the country for a continuous 6 month period.
Although the person had AU citizenship, it didn't help in that instance.
The person needed personal health or travel insurance during their 6 month stay.
I know of dozens that have been told they are not eligible for Medicare, speaking to the supervisor or going to another branch often rectifies the problem of the poor staff training in some Medicare offices other offices are excellent. We were done and dusted in less than 10 mins inc wait time.

I asked a very simple question in a very basic way via email to the concerned department (at the time) in relation to eligibility of Medicare on a certain Temporary Visa - it took 3 replies to get the simple basic answer of yes they will be eligible.

A good chance that that Medicare person that told the person you know now works at CAsA or they will soon be poached now you let the cat out!

P.S. It is citizenship by descent, and I will warn 2 of my 3 kids about that trap.