PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors teaching full rudder to "pick up" dropped wing.
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 16:26
markkal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centaurus, you have a point, however whatever one is thaught or shown ( Unless brainstormed and actually practiced long enough to become instinctive ) as far as risks asociated with counter wing drop with ailerons or with full rudder, I can tell you from experience (My own at the beginning and from countless pilots students and instructors) the initial reaction to an incipient stall is 1000% aileron to raise the wing. And this happens during training when one expects the maneuver, think about when it comes as a surprise..

Likewise, unless one is trained to use full rudder I have NEVER seen anyone applying full opposite rudder, only a tad of opposite foot (despite believing otherwise), but always full opposite aileron as an instinctive reaction..

Anyway whatever the debate, I can assure you the the majority of accidents are due to not to recoveries techniques , but rather from the fear and lack of confidence arising from the risk of losing control.

It is well known that in these scenarios, the mental process is impaired with either uncosncious random inputs or just no inputs at all . This has nothing to do with skills or the lack of them, It is a normal process that can only be reversed with training. We humans have to learn and practice in order to be able to perform..

Trust me, it has done marvels to boost my confidence and skills, it can benefit anyone, go take a full course on spins ( Please in stages :-) with a qualified instrcuctor and appropriate aircraft. Slow flight, incipient or developped spin, all will come smoothly under control

Spatial awareness, coordination, light touch at the controls, dissipation of fear and it's consequences are guaranteed. Then the whole behavior at the back of the envelelope (Slow flight/second regime) will improve accordingly, the correct reflexes will be ingrained. After that you'll be the judge to what works and what does not, able to experience and correct when need be..