PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS Ireland SAIL
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 14:53
2unlimited

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by R1ddle
Have SAS recently made pilots redundant?

"Au contraire" there already is a new and improved contract out that is very competitive, but we are still far cheaper as the cost of living outside scandinavia is far cheaper.

I have worked for a number of airlines, not one of my previous companies exist anymore. I learned a long time ago airlines are not pilot charities....some still haven't it seems.

Good luck to all
Living in London is not far cheaper than Scandinavia, furthermore what is the cost of living "cheaper"?
Sometime ago when was working with some ex Ryanair guys, and we talked about Cabin Crew conditions at RyR, I asked the stupid question why do they put up with such conditions, than to be told most of them that come and work come from "poor" European countries such as Spain, Portugal, Italy and Eastern Europe etc. Places where it's not easy to find good paid jobs.
And I can recall from few years back, before my flying days I lived in Spain, and we had this waitress working in our local restaurant, she would work 6 days a week, 2 jobs and around 10 - 12 hours a day, for this she would have around £500 - 600 a month. (around 15 years ago)
So I can see why loads of people get sucked into taking such jobs, and getting treated like trash, for them it's an "upgrade" - this is where EU has become a dream for companies wanting to take advantage of a EU wide cheap labour market to squeeze the prices down.

As 172_driver says, "It's not the players we're against, it's the business model."

R1ddle can you honestly not see the issues with SAIL business model and the threat it poses to SAS mainland? The "Creators" of SAIL are treating you as test subject, they are hoping this will be the future, so they can make more profits, and provide worse TC's to their crews. If you can't see this yourself, than you are part of the problem and culture that needs to change.
You are getting a short term gain, in exchange for long term pain.