PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4th Aug 2018 Junkers JU52 crashed in Switzerland
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 07:52
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am reading some very short-sighted posts about flying vintage aircraft. There is a simple reality that the vintage airframes and engines need to be maintained to a high standard. Unfortunately, that standard is not always reached and so, incidents occur and regulation catches up. Therefore, the costs increase. Sometimes, particularly bad and sad incidents will reveal past shortcomings and precipitate greater changes. If this accident does force further changes, the cost/price equation of operating the aircraft will be effected and, it will be up to the wishes of anyone who wants to operate or fly in these aircraft if that price is worth paying. I do not see any reason for banning these vintage aircraft, although certain states might decline to licence them if they wished to do so.
It is worth remembering that even the latest and most modern aircraft do still have accidents.
I look forward to seeing vintage aircraft flying in our skies forever, and I would certainly fly or be a passenger in any properly maintained and operated vintage aircraft, as I have done!

OAP