PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 03:18
MickG0105

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
But what would you have done?
Capn, I am not a commercial pilot but in my limited flying I tended to be very conservative. It was a bit of a joke for a while at my flying school that I declared a PAN to expedite a landing for an external metallic banging noise of unknown origin that only manifested itself in turns. Once on the ground I found that the culprit was the RHS seatbelt had been left hanging out through the closed door (courtesy of my instructor when he had disembarked). So, no prizes for guessing what I would have done.

No ILS on 27 at Bali (ILS better for Unreliable Airspeed approach)
You sure about that? I think there is.

Let's be realistic. What could it say? Cover every possible contingency with a directive for the crew to follow? Of course not. It certainly wouldn't cover this particular scenario. It seems half the world didn't even know about MCAS, let alone an operator putting out directives about what pilots should do if it goes rogue.
I'm not expecting that company policy would cover every possible contingency, it's policy not procedure. And I most assuredly would not expect it to include mention of a system that only Boeing knew about at the time. What I would be interested in is whether the circumstances of the JT43 incident as it actually occured (rather than as it was reported) should have been the subject of an internal Lion Air safety report and/or an Air Safety Report ​​​​​​​to the regulator.
​​​​​​​