PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exceeding Vne
Thread: Exceeding Vne
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2018, 11:46
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
So it is a one-point cruise guide type idea. I was going to ask SAS if the later versions of the 47 have cruise guide, as SA dropped it after the S-65 model line. One of the reasons was that while doing the flight loads survey on the USAF 53C, where a heavy/high alt/“relatively” high speed envelope was needed for air to ar refueling ( and the original S-65 flight loads was done only to 10000 I think-USMC mission definition), we saw problems with the cruise guide signal. The 53C featured the T64-7 engine as well with more power than the USMC 6/6B so it was possible to drive the 53C into stall in level flight at altitudes above 10-12k, and the blades reflected a version of stall flutter, where the basic 6/rev servo load signal would break down into 12/rev. If one looked at the servo load trace on a printout, the very top of the signal was cut off, so the peak servo load was in fact reduced*, but at the same time, the push rod load was increasing exponentially, thus the cruise guide function was subverted in those conditions. I’ve no idea where the 53K is on this subject.
*the resulting indication on the indicator when this occurred was a needle that would slowly oscillate thru a large range on the dial, rendering it unreadable. The N/rev vibration signature told all, however, so seat of the pants to brain connection told you what was going on.
But you have introduced a word that even my Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary did not have, and I’m not at work with NL, so I can’t ask him: what does “fescalize” mean?

Last edited by JohnDixson; 1st Dec 2018 at 11:51. Reason: Additional thought