PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Block Altitude clearances
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2018, 07:13
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarkerInbound
There are also no regulations about cruise clearances. A cruise clearance is different from a block altitude clearance in that it includes an approach clearance and once you report descending out of an altitude you can't go back up to that altitude. Those differences are pointed out in the AIM which says in its preface that it is not regulatory. So if a pilot failed to comply with the conditions of a cruise clearance they would be violating 91.123 and not some cruise clearance regulation. In 40+ years of IFR flying I've only received a cruise clearance one time between Maui and Kona in the middle of the night.
Marker,
Although it may surprise you, I do/did know that, and you are playing with semantics. It come with too may hours, over too many years, flying in US ( and lots of other) airspace.
There probably isn't an FAR that says many brown Burmese cats you can carry on a N- freighter, but that doesn't mean you can't carry brown Burmese cats on said freighter.
I seriously suggest you look a little more widely, rather than expecting a specific regulation to allow or prohibit whatever it is you want to do.
ATC, FAA style, is commendably practical and flexible.
The "law" around violating a clearance is also reasonably straightforward, which seems to be your hangup.
Tootle pip!!

PS: Re. the AIM, I would give careful and more in-depth study to the caveats and limitations, if I were you.