PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2018, 16:21
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123
Also I know BA recruitment is full steam ahead at the moment so if you joined recently by this time next year 400 extras would be behind you.
If you join at the end of that chain and BA close up recruitment for 2 years am I right in thinking you could be bottom of a pile for a while thus taking even longer to move LH/ improve your roster?

In very basic terms and in a nutshell..yes.

Now course if people keep retiring and the company pilot headcount/fleet size doesn’t reduce it is unlikely recruitment will stop completely (in the foreseeable future) and so you would hope to trundle up the list, but if there was a major event leading to a downturn you could end up “stuck”.

FWIW from a roster improvement POV you can also end up effectively stuck in place on your fleet if you somehow get into a fleet whilst very junior (directly as a DEP or perhaps because temporarily the fleet isn’t attracting senior bidders but you’ve taken a punt and bid across) and then subsequently the more senior pilots then decide to bid across to the fleet and slot in above you..not likely on shorthaul but can happen on Longhaul..ask me how I know.......

Best bet had always been to join at the start of any recruitment bulge...the trick is actually being able to spot when that is happening.

Last edited by wiggy; 28th Nov 2018 at 16:46.