PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The high charges of HEMS in the USA
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2018, 13:37
roybert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
The idea that people without Health Insurance cannot get health care in the USA is a myth.

One of the problems is the un-insured or those who do not qualify for government funded healthcare too often show up at Emergency Rooms/Trauma Centers to obtain what at best would be Urgent Care treatment or Primary Care Treatment.....and of course are unable/unwilling to pay for that treatment which cannot be denied by the facility.

The provider may limit their provision of care to that which is necessary to stabilize the patient then transfer the patient to another facility.

Those with Insurance, the Tax Payer, and those who self fund their healthcare do in fact wind up paying for the indigent who cannot afford or do not otherwise have healthcare insurance or coverage under a government funded source.
SAS
Even with universal healthcare in Alberta we still have people showing up at Emergency with a bad cold and asking for treatment even though Primary Care centers are free. In the US the Urgent Care and Primary Care centers are For Profit operations that can and I believe do refuse to provide service if you can't pay for it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on my assumption.

Roybert