PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2018, 12:59
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:Would it be fair to say that the previous crew worked an issue whilst not understanding the nature of the issue? In other words, they thought they had a trim runaway and flicked the stab trim switches. Luck rather than judgement?
A trim runaway is not taught to come in intervals. I guess you a right, probably pure luck.
I didn't realize that parsing words was one of the memory items. <<thinks> "The trim keeps on trimming nose down, but if I trim nose up it stops. But that cannot be a trim runaway as runaway means continuous and it is stopping every now time I trim back - therefore I will ignore the nose down trim and just pull harder... " Is that really how flight crew have been taught to think?

I would have thought that the response would be something along the lines of the successful previous flight. <<Thinks>> "Trim seems to have something wrong with it it keeps trying to trim down even though it stops when I trim nose up - CUT OFF trim switches OFF - that's better now to solve the other issues".