PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 28th Nov 2018, 12:11
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
Yes, I've read the report (in fact it was me that posted the link here first). But, where in that paragraph does it state what the TDP height was?
212Man, I am assuming that as forward flight transition was not attempted prior to the Gear being raised that his calculated TDP had not been reached or indeed missed as events transposed.

I think though, that the salient point is should retractable landing gear be raised prior to achieving a sensible amount of forward airspeed and height. Obviously prior to TDP the gear should of course remain available for a reject. In big helicopter world, as you know, we generally do this at Vy+200 feet. More to avoid distraction between VTOSS and Vy and often to conform to a critical performance profile.

However, if we accept that the landing gear is able to absorb some considerable energy in a high ROD touchdown, then maybe the Vy+200 feet (both conditions having to be met), is a good compromise should the RFM not specify for the operating conditions.

I guess what I am really alluding to is would the outcome in this instance have been improved if the gear remained down to absorb the initial energy at impact.