PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The high charges of HEMS in the USA
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2018, 11:18
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
The US proves every day, that a free market in health care produces the most expensive health system in the world with a declining live expectancy. That is not a success story.
I suppose you not read much of what has been said about our Healthcare system here at Rotorheads or elsewhere.

Our system is not "free" due to the States and Federal Government self imposed involvement on the system.

If the government got completely out of it.....then perhaps we would have that "free market" you assume exists.

One example....ACA known as Obama Care....imposed requirements for every Insurance Policy using a "one size fits all" concept as Government so often tries to use.

I am a single, un-married, childless Man yet any healthcare insurance policy I buy (each Policy has set coverages) will cover Maternity costs.

Last time I checked....it is biologically impossible for me to bear offspring.....so why am I required to have that coverage AND PAY for it?

For years Cafeteria style shopping of Health Insurance coverages has been sought by genuine reformers.....and it never happens because the States and the Federal Government refuse to allow it.

Odd thing...I do that for my Home Insurance, Auto Insurance, Boat Insurance, and personal liability Insurance....so why not health insurance?

Answer.....the States and the Federal Government don't get involved in structuring those kinds of insurance policies....the market does.

I live very near saltwater....and recently had some in my ground level rooms due to a Hurricane....my Boat Insurance has paid my Claim for damages, the Wind/Hail Insurance has assessed the damage and made a determination of loss (less than my Deductible), and the Flood Insurance (a Federal Program) has yet to make a decision.....see the trend?

The less involved the Government is in "Insurance" the better.....and the more "free" the market is.

"Free" to the government is defined as "Income Redistribution" where politicians take from some and give to others without any recourse by those whose pockets get picked.