PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2018, 10:19
Jock Trapped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123
This is grim reading. I’m mid 30s with a young family. Not too long ago I attended interview/group session. They gave us a presentation before we left and the guy seemed very honest, question asked on JSS they couldn’t answer as no one really knows. Showed us the pay scales and the slightly more pay LH get but the most interesting thing he told us was the rosters, showed us quite a few and even said himself, he wouldn’t take a SH command as he is top 20% of FO list. Gets almost every weekend off and all the trips he wants, took him 11 years to get there.
I so want BA and want to be a Captain at some point not to far away (within 10 years). First few years at BA hard rosters then start to improve and get more seniority which helps. Get offered command on SH end up bottom of the list again along with not being rewarded financially. I know people have said don’t join BA for the pay but then even joining for the lifestyle doesn’t seem that good anymore unless you are early 20s.
In a similar position, 30’s, young kids, part way through the recruitment process and have started questioning whether it’s worth leaving a LoCo close to home. Could I ask anyone in the know if starting on SH and accepting more than the fair share of weekend work, what are the chances of multiple (2? even 3?) days off in a row mid-week? How senior for this to be realistic? Would LGW be different? Asking primarily to avoid relocating from somewhere North and hoping BA at least viable. Cheers.