PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheddington?
Thread: Cheddington?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2003, 01:06
Penguina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cheddington?

Does anyone know anything about the status of this airfield? My map seems to think it's still open and I have consulted a couple of very seasoned aviators in my acquaintance who seem to think it's a fine place to land, as long as you're aware that the runways are quite narrow.

However, according to a bit of web research I have just done, it was closed after the war (when it was a USAF bomber base or something), was used by the army for a bit (gather there was a nuclear bunker based very nearby for a while...) and is now used for agriculture.

Obviously there's a fascinating history attached to this place, but the burning question is 'could I go and land there?'

This is probably a very daft enquiry; I have to admit, I still haven't quite got to grips with all this stuff. I've been flying for quite a while, but only just got my PPL. It would be a fun project for me, because I have a friend who lives in the village. The idea of literally descending one day seems a bit irresistable, but I wouldn't want to do anything naughty.