PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where did the 'Mayday fuel' statement come from?
Old 27th Nov 2018, 21:02
RubberDogPoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
RDP,
Would you like to quote a reference from the FARs/AIM/whatever.
Mayday is alive and well in the FAA Pilot/Controller Glossary, US states it conforms to ICAO SARPS for emergencies, and files no difference for Mayday, as far as I can find.
Any pilot is naturally reluctant (particularly in Australia - where many would rather die, as the lesser penalty) to use the term, because of the bureaucratic investigative storm use of the word triggers.
Tootle pip!!
No. not at all because I made no such inference that the term was absent from the aforementioned documents, however, working experience thus far has encountered exactly zero "Mayday,Mayday,Mayday" calls from American crews and yet several "we are declaring an emergency", or the ATC question: "do you wish to declare an emergency?"
Purely as an observation to Dick's statement: "A friend in the USA has sent me the current FAA requirements in relation to “minimum fuel” and declaring a “fuel emergency”. Note that there is no ”mention of the word “Mayday."" (My bolding), I'd suggest the term is not in widespread American usage anyway - thus, in isolation it is not particularly supportive of his argument....No more, no less.