PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine controls on turboprops
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2001, 03:40
moggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I trained on Astazou powered jetstreams in the RAF ad they had stubby little throttle lever that allowed you to control between 100% (for flight) and about 88% - if I remember correctly- for ground use. They also had power levers which controlled fuel supply which in turn (via the constant speed prop) controlled thrust more or less directly.

You started up and taxied at ground rpm, moved the throttles to 100% just before take-off (and then balanced them using little thumbwheels) and then advanced the power levers to leap skyward in a haze of vibration.

the other main control was a ground/flight interlock that allowed you to pull the power levers far enough back to go into reverse pitch.

all very fiddly but designed by the French and Handley-Page - so are you surprised?

As for indications (16 years ago so expect errors) RPM, TGT, fuel flow and blade angle (no torque if I recall). In prcatice, you used power levers to set a blade angle - small blade angle = little power, big blade angle = (yep, you guessed it).

Probably no help but I like to feel as if I've contributed.

PS- engines ran at 43,089 RPM (yes forty three thousand and eighty nine) for 100%, prop ran at 1,800 RPM and engine produced 1,089 SHP. Not bad for something about the size of 2 rugby balls (3 if you count the gearbox).

PPS- No electronic control at all - the engine lubricating-oil pressure was used to control pistons which adjusted prop blade angle. If the engine tried to accelerate (with fuel increase) the increase oil pressure increased blade angle until the prop dragged the engine back to normal RPM. Converse for fuel flow reduction. However, total oil pressure loss (engine failure) caused the blades to go full coarse into the feather. All very cunning. Small, lightweight and powerful - not at all like me.

[ 24 October 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]

[ 24 October 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]