PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where did the 'Mayday fuel' statement come from?
Old 27th Nov 2018, 11:12
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith

Whether you put the word “Mayday” in front of a fuel requirement has no cost effect.
Oh, yes it does....

As a private operator who probably doesn’t worry about cost of fuel carriage, you may not truly understand what I’m about to say, but here goes anyway:

For the following, I’m going to use the word “aircraft” rather than “pilot” or “operator”, because in commercial operations it is a joint responsibility (PIC has final say obviously but there is operator pressure in some operations).

If an aircraft finds itself in a position that it will be landing with less than Final Reserve (fixed reserve in the old lingo), it needs to call “Mayday Fuel”. This ensures priority handling by ATC, but it also ensures emergency services are activated and a subsequent ATSB investigation. It also ensures front page news.

And so it should.

Any aircraft landing with less than that needs to be investigated. If the investegation finds multiple events beyond the control of the pilot or operator, the investigation may turn to analysis of the events, including forecasting, slot management etc, but 30 minutes is set in sand as a line that thou shalt not cross for good reason, whether it be an A380, Cessna or whatever. When that line gets crossed, people want to know why, and I’m one of them.

Now, commercial operators and pilots alike do not like ATSB investigations, nor do they enjoy front page news. If landing less than Final Reserve puts them in that basket, then good.

Why? Because pilots and operators will (hopefully) do all they can to avoid being put in that position. Including perhaps, loading more fuel at departure, delaying the departure, diverting earlier, stopping enroute for more fuel, using an aircraft more suited to the range, or not departing in the first place. All of which cost real money.

So don’t even think about telling me that using the word “Mayday” on the radio has no cost effect on an operator or a pilot.

Last edited by Derfred; 27th Nov 2018 at 11:35.