PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Station Closures, Your Choice
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2003, 23:52
Training Risky

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Top thread!

Stopstart, you want "anywhere else hot and sunny" to be reopened, doesn't RAF Basra fall into that category?

Jordan D, I'll answer you. Lossie and Kinloss are at the ar*e end of nowhere (Scotland) and the nearest decent place to shop is Inverness - a bit of a drive away. Does that answer your question? I've paxed on a 6 hr Grimrod trg sortie over Stavanger, and I have no intention of doing it again!

Gainsey, good choices - with you there.

My own choices for CLOSURE:

1. Benson.

a) Why? As an SH operator, I can see no practical use for the place. Its full of plastic Pumas that are taking up countless resources that a few more Chinooks could be using.
b) And as for the Freak Sqn... What a waste of R&D money. Again, more Chinooks or off-the-shelf Black/Pave Hawks for the JPR role. (Which is supposed to be the Merlin's best use? ha ha ha.)
c) I'm bl**dy fed up with having to catch MT to the place to use the sim, because Odiham is too bl**dy small to have one!

2 and 3: Lossie and Kinloss (See above) (Send their assets to Honington and St Mawgan.)

4. Valley. (Do you need to ask why?)

5. Shawbury. Too bl**dy close to Wales. Decentralise DHFS to Yeovilton, Middle Wallop and Manston.

REOPEN:

1. Manston.

a) Claim back the airfield from MK Airlines, et al.
b) Put Wattasham's SAR flt back here where it should be: on the SOUTH COAST. (doh, Its not rocket science!) (Put SKOCU here as well, to make more room at St Mawgan for all the Grimrods.)
c) Farm out DHFS functions to Yeovs, Wallop and here. Ie, Navy and RAF SAR studes get more access to the sea. Navy, Army and RAF SH studes could go to the other two for closer access to Salisbury Plain.

2. Honington.

If there is room, the Regt can stay. If not, I'm sure they would rather be back at Catterick, closer to Otterburn and Spadeadam.
Put Lossie air wing here.

What a master plan eh?