PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Regional Headhunting
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2018, 04:42
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A Squared
Meh, my enjoyment of it has sort of diminished with repetition. The bottom line is his 135 operation has a business model of paying pilots a relatively low wage for a relatively high level of commitment of their time. Now the market for pilot labor has changed and they can't find pilots willing to be perpetually on call for the amount they're offering. That's the free market at work. It doesn't always work to keep you supplied labor for unrealistically low salary. His outfit could certainly attract pilots with the requisite Alaska experience who would jump at the chance to be at home, if only they'd offer a competitive wage, and a schedule that didn't have them perpetually on call. But they aren't willing to offer terms and conditions whcih are competitive in today's pilot market.
Of course that is an opinion you are entitled to, but there is a limit to what can be paid to the pilots and still break even. If the cost cannot be passed on to the customer, whatever it is for (wages, fuel, maintenance) then the company goes under. That is capitalism and nobody runs a business at a loss. At least for long.

Your comment typifies that of the Millenials, and the liberals, who believe that the world was set up for their benefit and does not require a commitment.

The type of work we do is precisely what you describe; on call, no schedule, demanding flying and a need to be at the top of your game if you are going to fly safely. It is fun, satisfying and challenging. A good pilot would see that and not refuse to give it a go because it does not pay as much as he might think he is worth. I have flown practically everywhere and everything and consider what we do as the best flying job ever. You probably want to fly an Airbus (and face it; you don't really "fly" those), stay in good hotels, have a schedule and a great income, and wear a flash pilot uniform. I am sorry for you if so, because you have not really experienced what aviation can offer. It is not all money.

I would gladly pay more money for a pilot who could do what is needed in this job safely and efficiently but for some time now that pilot does not exist. For example a few years back, before this stupid 1500 hour rule came in and put the stick in the bicycle wheel spokes, I could get a pilot with 4500 hours, 3000 command, 2500 multi engine turbine, and Alaska experience and we paid that guy a salary and flying hours at the top of the scale for Alaska. Now I might get someone with half that time and no multi engine turbine, spend a month or more training him, teaching him how to fly Alaska, then he stays three months and leaves for Atlas. I would be glad to pay pilots what they are worth, but only if the pilots would take a pay cut because some are not worth much at all. Of course I cannot do that but it sticks in my craw to pay less experienced pilots almost double what I would have paid for one who could actually do the job and would honour a commitment to stay and pay back the money and time spent training him.

You obviously see things in a very one-sided manner and believe the world owes you a living. You don't care about the industry; the mess being created that will deny the youngsters who will follow you similar opportunities because the companies that provided you and your mates with a great living and great flying opportunities are soon to go out of business. When we go, the levels above us in the aviation strata will not be far behind.