PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WSO vs WSOp Questions
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2018, 22:41
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camelspyyder
Choose WSO, WSO, and then WSO.

And that's coming from a 36 year served AEOp / WSOp (who was always happy with his lot, I hasten to add)

1. The money is very important. When flying pay kicks in the difference is huge.

2. The promotion prospects as a WSOp are poor - the competition is enormous. The prospects as a WSO (given that its a near dead branch about to have a new influx of people) are surely much better.

3 Look ahead 8 to 10 years: one will probably still be a Sergeant, the other possibly a Squadron Leader. (then see how the money pans out - at a rough guess £40k versus £70k)

4.The chance of better and more varied postings, especially overseas, is generally going to be for WSO.

The Military is run by Officers, for Officers. If you have the chance that is the way you should enter the Service. Everything from pay, promotion prospects, responsibility, varied career development etc. points that way. Enlisted personnel do not have the same life at all.

By the way living in either Mess is awful. On base accommodation upgrades have correctly prioritised the Junior ranks, so many Messes date from the 1930's to the 1960's and are horrid.
1. The flying pay has been meddled with quite a lot recently and it means you wont actually receive it until 7 yrs post OCU. That could be around your 10 yr point for both WSO and WSOp, so may not be enough of a carrot to keep you in.

2. Yes and no. WSOp is a tough promotion board but WSO is not easy by any stretch. Have a long think about whether promotion is something you actually want to entertain as you have to jump through a lot of hoops consistently for many yrs to be considered. I never played that game as it was just too much, for too little.

3. Those figures are WAY out! the difference in flying pay rate is about £4 per day on the lowest rates.

A WSO will take around 17/18 yrs to be put onto Tier 2 flying pay, a WSO would be on Middle gusting high rate by that point which means a difference of £20 /£15 per day in favour of WSO.

That would mean it would take a Sqn Ldr around 16/17 yrs to get to the £70k, WSOp would be earning around £48k if still a Sgt or £52k if FS (with 4 yrs seniority) at the same point.

AFPRB 2018

4. Blessing and a curse - Staff tours might just kill your will to live or a random posting to Nairobi might not float your boat in any way. It depends on what you want from life and your career.

Agreed about Messes, they are all pretty dire and in need of much improvement and upgrading. My last 2 messes were plagued by heating breakdowns and constantly cold or running out of hot water. My last mess had to be closed for 2 weeks due to sewerage leaking from the main pipe. It was HORRENDOUS!

Overall I would say WSO is the way ahead but it wont be for everyone. I do miss the Sgts' Mess functions.....

Last edited by heights good; 26th Nov 2018 at 23:41. Reason: Fat fingers