PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WSO vs WSOp Questions
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2018, 22:17
Roger the cabin boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Charlie,

May I suggest that you have a good think about what role you wish to do? I don't disagree with any of the previous posts at all, but I imagine you to be in your early 20's? If so, you do have time to go and fly the role that your heart says is right (that might be as an ISTAR WSO, equally, it might be as a Voyager crewman (probably unlikely....)) and then look at other opportunities later. There are plenty of avenues available for commissioning from the NCA cadre, be they in role (there are a good few wing commander and squadron leader crewmen knocking about, for example), by transfer to another aircrew role (again, a fair number of ex-NCA have ended up as pilots on helos, the AT fleet and indeed FJ) or alternatively, in a ground branch - again, there are lashings of ex-NCA in ATC, Int, Admin, Logs, etc.

That said, you might find that remaining NCA is right for you and that you might aspire to achieving your Warrant - probably more demanding that gaining a commission!

It IS an officer's Air Force; there ARE generally more opportunities (in and out of role, and by way of geography) for WSOs than WSOps, and money WILL become a factor at some point. But the options are there for the taking.

In short, every career path has its positive and negative points. The bottom line though, and this may be just my opinion, is that in the first instance you must do right by you and aim for the flying role that you truly want. It can't be pleasant finding yourself doing something you don't enjoy, in a location in the arse end of nowhere, when your mates from OASC are doing something they (and deep down, you) wanted to do. Judging by your handle, I would hazard a guess that the Chinook Force might be up there in terms of choice. And you'd be right.......