PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2018, 20:46
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
He meant that's where the short undercarriage and low wing came from... grandfathered from the 727.
Indeed, that was the thrust of my argument. The 727 grandfather-heritage resulted in the original 737 having slim engines tucked in close to the wing, which gave very little engine induced nose up pitch at stall. Now compare that with the huge and powerful engines on the Max, with their much greater thrust and aerodynamic pitching moments. And correct me if I am wrong - but absolutely no change to the back-end, that has to cope with those increased pitching moments.

Had the 737 been designed with fan engines from the very start, it may have aquired a different control architecture - like having a stick pusher, and a larger elevator. But when we come to designing the Max, adding a stick-pusher and new elevator to a 1967 certification might be considered a major modification, requiring complex certification issues. But just tweaking the STS system to add a nose down trim at the stall - well that is just a minor mod. Who would even notice? I mean, it is such a minor tweak that we don’t even need to put it in the F-COM or QRH.....

You see the problem....?

I don't quite follow that, seeing as the 727 didn't have wing-mounted engines..
Which is why the 727 was able to have very short legs. You don’t think anyone designed the squat little 737 de novo do you? The design and components were all inherited - and many of them originally came from the 707.

Silver

Last edited by silverstrata; 25th Nov 2018 at 20:55. Reason: add quote