PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wake enroute
Thread: Wake enroute
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2018, 07:56
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sincerely doubt this. I cannot see ATC sorting this many variants out, especially of the same ac variants. Aside from that, by the time this ill-fated scenario rolls out, there will be even more variants. (now it is a 115 by 115 matrix)
There is the potential to have something similar, if NATS gets the automation worked out on the new ATC system, but this would require the new system...lets see how that works out, and in how many years.
We already use variant-specific average speed profiles inside 4DME to calculate the anticipated compression between an aircraft pair, so we are already using a pair-wise modification of the RECAT distance which is already modified by TBS. What automation is required specifically for PWS? It’s just a case of having larger look up table of values. What do you mean by ‘something similar?

160 at 4DME is fast. For the 320 and 737 variants, not an issue., but try to manage the energy of a large aircraft from 160 down to FAS from 4 DME. (and with steeper approaches?!?!) Most large ac the optimum GPA is 2.8 to manage the energy.
A380s do 160 to 5DME.

I’m not aware of any comparable airport where they come down the whole final approach at 150 or 145, are you?