PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-22 Prang at NAS Fallon, Nevada
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2018, 06:55
Bob Viking

Received 551 Likes on 150 Posts
PBA

Thanks for your explanation. I understand now.

Previous explanations had just tried to paint me as someone trying to resist the advent of a new bit of technology and (like a broken record) never gave me an answer to my original question that made sense (to me at least).

As an aside, I watched my own rotate during my morning trip. My jet has nowhere near the performance of a Raptor. I looked at my rotate speed (we do not have an EODM so we do have SOP speeds for each fit) and noted when I was 5 knots below it. The numbers in the HUD changed so rapidly it was hard to perceive. I say again, this is not a Raptor so the numbers probably change even quicker in that jet. In the back seat I would see the stick move and probably get a feeling for an underspeed rotate. There are no two seat Raptors and it was suggested that a sim instructor could have caught it.

I could not honestly say I would notice during a routine simulator sortie if someone was doing it incorrectly. Not with the likely rate of acceleration of a Raptor. And not with your likely average Raptor pilots level of concern about their rotate speed (I suspect they never believed for one second it could be so sensitive - in a Jaguar or Tornado, or similar older US jet yes, but not a Raptor).

I still think some posters here are using 20/20 hindsight and living in a perfect world if they think it could reasonably have been noticed before the accident though, but if you are telling me that FDM (we don’t know if such a system actually exists on Raptor) could have caught it then I have to believe you.

I accept I may be wrong and you may be right but I can’t help having my opinion based on my experiences to date.

BV

Last edited by Bob Viking; 25th Nov 2018 at 07:16.