PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information about Aegean Airways
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2018, 19:11
180Knots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your answers, it looks interesting. I'm wondering about the "tax" challenge...

Originally Posted by Murtoman
Cant say with Captains for sure. FOs go through Resource Group(ex contractair) either through Switzerland or Germany. From Switzerland at least taxes are your own personal problem, so for people who feel playing around im sure theres money to be gained. If you dont live in the hotel you also get +1000e housing allowance on top.

EDIT. FO pay is around 5k gross average over the year if you dont live in the hotel, overtime paid after 75block

Life in Greece is generally pretty amazing, prices are cheap and you can go spend the summer in one of the islands(You could get a personal bungalow in 5 star resorts, rental cars to move around etc etc). Trip hotels are also in general super nice.

Crews are generally great, but expect to hear a lot of greek spoken everywhere. Learn some and you wont have any problems.

Workload can be nuts in the summer, expect to be doing at worst 6-1 roster, at best 5-3(this will not happen for sure ). Also nights, mornings evenings split duties, 6 sector days all mixed up. You can swap with other crew though through a system which makes it much less painful now. Also rosters can come out very late.

In winter roster are very very relaxed, you can also do part time. Expect lots of stby otherswise(dont worry, wont be called in most of the time)

Flying itself is AMAZING. Hand flying? Go ahead! Visual approach? Sure why not. Want a challenge? Go to 50% of the islands on suboptimal conditions, hell even athens approaches can be pretty interesting. You have long flights, short flights, mornings, evenings, nights. You name it they have it. Fancy business class dinner, most of the time you can get one. I could go on

Aegean operations and all office and management crew are very professional and helpful, expect personal treatment, and issues/requests can be very much discussed about in logical manner, compromises can be made. You dont really run into stupid things just because ''its procedure''. Professional treatment also great, you wont be cashing out for taxis or anything yourself, things are taken care of.

Apart from the workload/rostering problems in summers not much to complain about(you can still get around this) Lots of delays in the summer due to ATC. Also staff travel is a bit of a mystery at the moment, you will for sure get staff tickets with Aegean/Olympic, the rest is unclear for now.

Im sure people know in general how contracting agencies are so I wont go in detail. I wasnt necessarily very impressed by some things I saw. Salaries do come in time always though!.

If you dont have problems with being a contractor, with yearly renewable contracts etc. And can manage your rest and workload in the summer, I would certainly give Aegean more than a few thoughts.

Best of luck-

M
Murtoman, what about fo salary? and which bases are available?