PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737MAX Stab Trim architecture
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2018, 18:31
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

I don't see eye to eye with FC about this issue My comments in red:

First, if the unaugmented airplane were neutrally speed stable it would not require any steady elevator for a speed change and thus stiffening the column feel would not help as none would be needed to fly faster or slower. [dat's how Airbus and Viper work. 'bus is gee cmd like Viper, and speed stability is there due to aero design, so they use power for speed, best can tell. Viper was negative static stability until above 0.9M and had zero speed stability. Pitch was gee cmd only, unlike 'bus which corrected the gee cmd for pitch angle and bank angle] Further, if the unaugmented airplane were actually unstable with regard to speed it would require a push force to keep the nose from rising after slowing down and a pull force to keep the nose from falling after speeding up. [ very true. but the 737 is normal and reducing speed results in descending and increasing speed makes it climb. So STS moves the stab the "wrong" way to make the pilot trim the "right" way. GASP. That's what Mana saya over on the other tech thread, and he just trimmed the way he wanted/needed to, heh heh] These are clearly not the desired situation. Stiffening the column feel in that event would actually make the speed stability handling characteristics worse. [ I do not agree. Let the plane's normal aero speed stability work unless it is not aerodynamically stable. I expect the damn thing to nose over if I pull off power! I want it to keep my last trimmed speed/AoA]
Gums sends,,,,