PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2018, 18:03
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute wiede!

Thanks for the explanation, as I was sure someone else had mentioned the wheel-to- cable- to- drum-to-jackscrew implementation versus a pulley-to-stab connection.

Also, I understand that the traces only show the electrical commands, and suspected as such. Thanks for confirming.

Looking at the stab position carefully, there might be manual input just as the two control forces diverge before the dive. Maybe pilot using only left arm and other to turn the wheel. I am trying to be gentle, but I am looking at Boeing and the system design more than anything.

ADDED:
From wiede....
If an electric system was fighting for trim commands how long would you have counteracted it with switches on your yoke before using the CUTOUT switches?
My bet would be you would have gotten annoyed after less than 30 seconds and asked the copilot to trim for you with the wheel.
As another pilot said over on Tech Log, and with years flying the beast and not likeing STS, and not knowing about MCAS on my plane becasue they didn't tell me, I would have trimmed with the switches thinking it was the STS working in reverse. Does that sound like the gripe from the previous flight?

And if i finally applied all the procedures and landed, then found out about MCAS I would have been pissed!

Gums...

Last edited by gums; 24th Nov 2018 at 18:09. Reason: added comment