PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire and Chinook near-miss
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2018, 11:02
Onceapilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope that the CAA guide in Nuttys post#13 has been updated. The "circuit procedures" seems a little thin on detail. The "guide" makes little attempt to advise the need for visiting pilots to ask for circuit details, such as circuit height and joining specifics. The description of run-in and break is brief to the point of nonsense. Is it an authoritative brief or just an awareness document? The"guide" describes high speed aircraft as breaking into the circuit "1 to 1 and 1/2 mins" after calling initials (actually often 30sec) and makes no mention of the strict height limits and overall responsibilities of pilots flying this manoeuvre, the VRIAB. TBH, I feel that this guide can be seriously criticised on these points. Civilian pilots do not generally know about or even have a legal duty to comply with military procedures. This is amply illustrated by the wazzing atittude of the Spitfire pilot involved. Overall, I would think that the duty of care of the airfield operator would be to only offer civilian control procedures to visiting civilian aircraft and, not to attempt integration with Military procedures. Civilians with Display authorisation should only be cleared to operate within their display limits at a Military airfield when specifically cleared for a display, in accordance with their civilian Display Authorisation, not for general operation of their aircraft, which must be IAW the ANO and Civilian Rules of the Air.